Sunday, December 21, 2008

Advent Wreath

The advent wreath is a tradition my church did as well as my family when I was growing up. As a teenager, we often made fun of the advent wreath at church because of the silly lines they would have the kids say each week about the wreath. Like, "Why do we light the third candle?" But secretively, I always loved the advent wreath.

In my nine years of marriage, I have always tried to have an advent wreath in our home. However, I must say that I am unsuccessful most years. I just can't seem to find an advent wreath that isn't "flimsy". I am always scared that our house will catch on fire due to the advent wreath. And since we've had children, there is no way I'd light candles right now...especially with the activity that can be produced by two boys. Yet, I hope there comes a time in our future when we can have an advent wreath; one that we can light each night as we sit and have dinner together. I picture us discussing the coming (that's the meaning of advent, coming) of Christmas and all that it means.

Today's post ends up being of a tradition I had in my past, and one I long to have in my future. However, for now, we do not have an advent wreath in our home.

1 comment:

  1. I love Advent wreaths too! And grew up watching the families light these each week in our church.

    Though, I agree not an easy task with kids around!

    ReplyDelete